INTERESTED IN A PAID SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIP?
OHIO WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY has received National Science Foundation funding to serve as a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site for the summers of 2013-2015. Consider the following quote from a 2011 REU participant:
"The REU program was a exceptional introduction to research. It was exciting to be engaged in modern scientific inquiry and be challenged under the excellent guidance of the faculty mentors. I came away with an improved set of skills in problem solving, computational technique, and professional communication of ideas, as well as a renewed appreciation for the wonderful insights of physics." (Ma`ayan Dagan, Oberlin College)
- Each participant will work on a research project under the guidance of an experienced Ohio Wesleyan University faculty member in either the Department of Physics and Astronomy or the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in one of the following disciplines: astronomy, computer science, mathematics/statistics, neuroscience, and physics.
- REU projects are for a duration of ten weeks: MAY 19-JULY 25, 2014.
- All projects will focus on one or more aspects of scientific computation: numerical, symbolic, and data visualization. FOR A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF AVAILABLE PROJECTS, SEE THE "Project Descriptions" LINK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PAGE.
- SUPPORT: $5000 (for 10 weeks), $1000 food allowance (paid at beginning of program), free housing, travel funds to get to/from the OWU campus.
- ELIGIBILITY:Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be full-time undergraduate students.
- Preference will be given to students with limited research opportunities at their home institutions.
- MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGE TO APPLY.
- HOW TO APPLY: Start by filling out the on-line application(SEE THE "Applications" LINK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PAGE).
- Have someone who knows well your academic capabilities and your research potential write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Have that person email the letter to Ms. Kathy Boger at email@example.com.
- Email a copy of your undergraduate transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable) to Ms. Kathy Boger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS will begin March 3, 2014 and will continue until all positions are filled. We have funding for up to 8 undergraduates.
- Click the links on the left to read the project descriptions, meet the faculty and staff, meet past participants, and view posters and videos from the Ohio Five Summer Research Symposia.
- Click on the image below to see a flyer describing the REU program for 2014.
|2014 REU Program Flyer (PDF*)|
-This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 1003992. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
* Note: You will need the free Adobe Reader software to view/print PDF files. Click the “Get Adobe Reader” icon to begin the download process.